Thursday, August 9, 2012

Hi! I actually have a free moment while the kids are preoccupied to write something, so here I am. I am bursting to tell you something, but I can't, so I will tell you the next best thing:

There's an amazing new book out, if you like dragons, strong-minded girls, and complexity:


SERAPHINA, by Rachel Hartman, is the best book I've read all summer. It's for older teens (or at least more sophisticated ones), but great for adults too. In fact, I don't know why they don't make it a crossover. Seraphina is...well, you'll have to check it out.

I can't post a picture of what I'm reading now, because it's my critique partner's novel, which doesn't have a cover yet. But it will.

Plans for the week: Spend lots of time with the kids. My daughter has suddenly become re-interested in her violin like never before, and my son is....well, he's a full-fledged terror in a cute package. We've been swimming, riding bikes, playing with play dough, reading, and we've been to Niagara Falls. Next up is our annual trip to Camp Gorham, a family camp in the Adirondacks that is pretty close to heaven. For New York State.

When September comes, I'll be writing a WHOLE LOT more. The kids will be in school and I will be in my new office--I've rented a room in a house filled with other serious writers. I'm so excited about this I can hardly stand it. My own desk! No more driving to the bookstore, buying a drink, and trying to find a table near an outlet. No more sharing my writing area in the house with the art supplies and visiting guests. And best of all, I will be joining a small community of writers. Oh! And the first floor of the house is a full-fledged audiobook company, which is awesome. I will have to restrain myself from bothering them, for sure. Another piece in my dream-come-true puzzle is coming together.

Ok. Go get your hands on SERAPHINA and read it. Then come back and tell me what you thought. 

:-)


3 comments:

Mirka Breen said...

Like you, I'm getting ready to get re-acquainted with my writing desk. Yay, September! Best writing wishes to you.

Ruth Schiffmann said...

Ooooo, news that you're bursting to tell, but can't. I bet I can guess ;)

Your new writing arrangements sound wonderful. Enjoy every moment!

Marcia said...

That new writing room sounds fabulous!